Wednesday

Remembering Rome and the Arch of Constantine

Almost two years had passed now since we visited Rome, Italy. I had a visitor, a friend who came from the United States to see Europe. One of the cities we visited was the capital city of Italy. We had a lot of happy memories here especially that my friend is also a cool one. She cracked jokes and I also did the same. We kept on laughing during our  trips to different countries in Europe. It was truly a fantastic and memorable one.

One of the sights we visited in Rome was the Arch of Constantine. This resembles like the Arch of Triumph  in Paris or the Siegestor in Munich. This triumphal arch in Rome is situated between the Colosseum  and the Palatine Hill. It was erected by the Roman Senate to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge on October 28, 312.

It always fascinates me seeing historical architecture like this.

The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide, the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. The top (called attic) is brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase formed in the thickness of the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, in the end towards the Palatine Hill.

I am so thankful to visit Rome once in my life. Our trip last August 2010 was truly a worth one. I wish to visit Rome again in the future.

No comments: